On 15th October the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact will be signed with an official ceremony. Milan Urban Food Policy Pact is an international protocol for the development of food systems based on the principles of sustainability and social justice. On 16th October the document will be presented to Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations.
The document is the result of the work of participating cities and the coordination of the Technical Team, a panel of prominent experts with a strong track record in food-related issues and international experience.
At the signing ceremony will take part Mayors and delegations from the participating cities and representatives of International Organizations. Download here the programme of the event.
The event will begin at 14:30 at Palazzo Reale, with an introduction by:
- Giuliano Pisapia, Mayor of the City of Milan
- Giuseppe Guzzetti, President of Fondazione Cariplo.
Moderator: Paolo Magri, Executive Vice President of Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI )
At 14.45 Keynote addresses:
- Video Message from His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
- Olivier de Schutter, Co-chair of the International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems and former UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food (2008-2014)
- Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City University London
At 15.10 “Milan Urban Food Policy Pact: Local Solutions for Global Issues”:
- Ada Colau, Mayor of Barcelona
- Khalifa Sall, Mayor of Dakar
- Sergey Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow
- Ahamed Jamaldeen Mohamed Muzammil, Mayor
- Marcio Lacerda, Mayor of Belo Horizonte
At 15.40 the Signing Ceremony of the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact will begin. Keynote addresses by:
- José Graziano Da Silva, FAO Director-General
- Markku Markkula – President of EU Committee of the Regions
- Maurizio Martina – Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry Policies of Italy
- Piero Fassino – Mayor of Turin, President of the Association of Italian Municipalities
At 16.30 Mayors debate:
- statements by mayors and cities representatives
- moderated by Filippo Solibello, radio presenter
At 18.30 Keynotes addresses by:
- Neven Mimica – EU Commissioner for International Cooperation & Development
- Vytenis Andriukaitis – EU Commissioner for Health and Food Safety
- Ann Tutwiler – President of Bioversity International
- Carlo Petrini – President of Slow Food International
- Roberta Sonnino – Professor of Environmental Policy and Planning, Director of the Research Centre for Urban and Regional Food Systems at the Cardiff University